In my work as a Nutrition Consultant and Personal Therapeutic Chef, I see certain food causes similar issues for many people; such as bloating, yeast overgrowth, and fatigue. This is why I leave the following foods off all menu plans:
- Artificial colors + flavors (i.e. red dye #40, monosodium glutamate)
- Chemical leavening agents (i.e. baking soda, baking yeast)
- Foods processed with additives, chemicals, emulsifiers, preservatives, or stabilizers
- Fruit containing high amounts of sugar (bananas, grapes, melon)
- Gluten* (i.e. wheat, rye, barley, triticale, commercial oats)
- Pasteurized dairy
- Poor quality oil (i.e. canola oil, soybean oil, margarine)
- Refined salt
- Refined sugar (i.e. sucanat, raw sugar, molasses, maple syrup, amasake, honey)
- Shellfish (i.e. mollusks: clams, scallops, oysters/crustaceans: crab, prawns, shrimp)
- Un-fermented soy (i.e. tofu, soy milk)
*I am comfortable using stone-ground whole meal flour made from an ancient, organic wheat like spelt or Kamut; or a heritage variety like Red Fife.
May all bellies be happy!