Support your inner ecosystem (a.k.a digestive system) with some of the ideas I came up with over the years in my role as a nutritionist for people with digestive issues. Pregnant? Check out this article.
- Unsalted cultured food (i.e. cultured vegetables, coconut kefir) to populate the gut with good flora/probiotics to improve digestion, nutrient absorption, and elimination.
- Properly soak grains, beans, nuts/seeds to reduce harmful anti-nutrients (i.e. lectins, phytates, inhibitors).
- Proper food combining which means eating food that combines well in your stomach. This practice aids digestions and helps you more easily assimilate nutrients from the food you eat.
- Seasonal cooking is a way of adjusting food and cooking styles during the changing year to enjoy food at its freshest peak and more easily keep the inner and outer body in harmony.
- The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D.) or other ‘gluten-sugar-yeast’ free diet is a way of eating that doesn’t feed pathogenic fungus, bacteria, or viruses. Very good for reversing yeast overgrowth!!
- Home remedies from natural ingredients to relieve aches/pains.
- Alkalizing foods are rich in minerals (calcium, potassium, magnesium) to keep blood slightly alkaline; a way to prevent infection from settling in.
- Organic, local whole food made without refined or processed ingredients is easiest for the human body to recognize and digest.
May all bellies be happy!