This is for men who want to tailor The Body Ecology Diet (B.E.D.) to meet their dietary needs. While I am no guy, I did watch my husband start the diet and have 8 years under my belt with feeding both him and my boys.
I met my husband in 2011 after being on B.E.D. for a year. I was a single mom healing a stubborn case of systemic yeast overgrowth and deeply committed to healing. Then, I met Tomas who was smoking, drinking beer, and eating junk. He walked in with many health issues and a wide-open mind to doing the diet. I went from making food for just me and my kids to cooking feast after feast for a man who was hungry day and night.
Dancing In The Kitchen 💃🕺
I learned as I went. When I got overwhelmed, Tomas encouraged me with his desire to be healthy, stop smoking, and heal his mouth. We were both trained therapeutic cooks and made a good team; we danced in the kitchen! If I cooked, he washed dishes, vice versa. Yet, I was in charge of food prep and keeping the wheels moving. Soaking grain, making unsalted cultured vegetables, coconut kefir, and waffle batter was on my shoulders. This period of life helped me become grounded in the ‘body ecology way of eating’ and greatly improved my ability to menu plan. Tomas and I have now been married 8 years 🙂
What I Notice About Men & Food
- Men like salt
- Men like BIG (think cheeseburgers, sandwiches, pizza slices with toppings)
- Men like sweet
- Men like fried
- Men like flavor
Sound like any man you know? I don’t want to get too detailed but I think most agree that men are inherently more masculine and need more minerals, salt, and flavor to energetically extend themselves outwards in world with energy and force. They also tend to have a heightened metabolism.
Find Your Rhythm
Whatever your rhythm is plays a part in the food you need. Do you have health issues? Tomas’ kidneys call for attention. When he started B.E.D. he struggled with oral health and gaining weight. In this way, I customized my cooking to meet his needs. How old are you? Are you big, small? What do you like to eat? Your answers help you find the food for your body.
Listen & Observe
If you are a man cooking for yourself or a woman cooking for a man in your life, then listen and observe as you move forward on the diet. That is step one imo. Then act accordingly while you live life.
B.E.D., is not meant to rule your life or define who you are. Rather, it is a holistic way of eating that can enhance life. Take the time you need to weave the traditional principles that Donna Gates, author of B.E.D., has laid out to follow. They are guide-posts when you are not sure which way to go. Live life to the fullest!
B.E.D.-friendly food ideas to get you or your man salivating for more 💋
- Zucchini frittatas with quinoa pilaf and butternut squash soup
- Coconut truffles by the dozen
- Broiled wild salmon with mashed cauliflower and steamed asparagus
- Chef salad with hard boiled eggs, avocado, rolled deli meat, and dressing
- Poached wild cod served with luscious lemon sauce
- Turkey burgers with sweet mustard sauce
- Buckwheat waffles topped with cultured butter, lakanto, and hemp seeds
- Roasted chicken with broiled zucchini
- Konjaku miracle noodles sauteed with snow peas, zucchini, and garlic – top with pesto
- Steak ‘n eggs…does it get more manly? It will if you smother it with bernaise sauce
- Filet mignon with cultured horseradish, what the heck – see photo above
- Pumpkin pie with cultured cream
- Omelettes of all kinds
- Milk kefir with cinnamon and stevia
- Probiotic protein shake
- Lamb stew with carrot chunks and broccoli florets
- Chicken soup with a couple eggs scrambled in
- Spaghetti squash with pesto and baby lima bean soup
- Almond cookies cut into hearts, why not? You only live once 💗
- Tuna with a tin of sardines and homemade mayo
- Mug of Ujido green tea
- Cocobiotic with scoop of super spirulina
Note: Serve the above with plenty of vegetables; including a scoop of unsalted cultured veggies.
A word of thanks to my husband, who loves me enough, to let me write about him so that others can glean from our experience on The Body Ecology Diet. This blog post contains affiliate links, you can read here to learn more.
May all bellies be happy!