Most floss is toxic because it is made from nylon, a petroleum-based product, coated with a Teflon synthetic resin – think nonstick cookware – called PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). Both are carcinogenic and can cause cancer, arthritis, altered immune response, thyroid disease, hyperactivity, hormone imbalance, and reduced fertility.
When I first heard this, I thought “how can a piece of floss cause so many issues?”
Here’s the short version of why certain kinds of floss can harm …. floss that contains PTFE can leave traces of chemicals in your mouth that will either be swallowed or absorbed into your bloodstream through the thin mucosa lining of your mouth; especially if you floss once or twice a day for years on end as many of us do.